The Protection of Plant Varieties & Farmers’ Right Authority had constituted the Extant Variety Recommendation Committee (EVRC) under Section 15 (2) of PPV & FR Act, 2001 read with Regulation 6 of PPV & FR Regulations, 2006, which was published in PVJ Vol. 4, No.7, July, 2010 (here).
In continuation to this, an office notice has been issued in the Plant Variety Journal (here) of December, 2010, about the reconstitution of Extant Variety Recommendation Committee (EVRC). The reconstitution of the Committee is as under;
1. Prof.D.P.Ray- Chairman, Vice-Chancellor OUAT, Siripur, Bhubaneswar, Orissa -751 003.
2. Dr.S.K.Sharma –Member, Vice-Chancellor CSK Himachal Pradesh Krishi Viswavidyalaya, Palmpur (H.P.) – 176 002.( Earlier ,Dr. Sharma was the Director of NBPGR, IARI,New Delhi-110012).
3. Dr.S.Acharya- Member, Research Scientist, Main Pulses Research Station SDAU, Sardarkrushinagar, Gujarat – 385506.
4. Dr. A.K.Singh –Member, Rice Breeder, Genetics Division, IARI, New Delhi-110012.
5. Sh. G.Murlidhara- (Farmer’s Representative)-Member, Member Tamilnadu Kissan Sangh ,Arayapuram, Malliyam Post, Mailaduthurai ,Taluk, Nagapattinam, District (T.N.) – 609 806.
6. Dr. S.K. Tripathi- (Seed Industry Representative)- Member ,Vice President, (Vegetable Business Unit) ,Nuziveedu Seeds Ltd., Bara Khamba Road, New Delhi – 110 001.
7. Dr. Manoj Srivastava Member, Secretary, Registrar, PPV&FR Authority, New Delhi – 110 012.
Purpose of EVRC: EVRC shall be examining the suitability for registration of extant varieties which have been notified under section 5 of the Seeds Act, 1966 (54 of 1966) .On the basis of the recommendations of the EVRC, the said variety shall be registered as per the provisions of the section 28 of the Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers’ Rights Act, 2001.
Members of EVRC: The EVRC is comprised of seven person including one Farmers’ Representative and one Seed Industry Representative and other subject matter specialists nominated by the Authority.
Tenure of EVRC: The EVRC shall have three years tenure w.e.f 8th june,2010 , So tenure of the EVRC is till 8th june,2013.
Meetings of EVRC: The EVRC shall meet periodically at the HQ of the Authority.
Registrar in EVRC: The Registrar of the Authority shall be the Ex-officio Member Secretary of the Committee. As Sh. R.K. Trivedi (Ex- Registrar) has been relieved w.e.f. 12.11.2010, In place of him Dr.Manoj Srivatava is names as the Ex-officio Member Secretary of the Committee.
This committee is mandated to develop appropriate procedures and examine the EV applications that fall under the Seeds Act, 1966 and recommend to the Authority the suitability of the material for registration. According to the information publishes on the authority website, 136 varieties had sent for EVRC recommendation and EVRC has recommended 129 varieties, remaining 7 varieties are not recommended for registration. Detail can be seen here.
If further clarification is required then please contact;