Government of India (GOI) invites applications for the post of Chairperson, Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers’ Rights Authority (PPV&FRA), NewDelhi.
Eligibility: A Person of outstanding caliber and eminence with practical experience of not less than ten years in the field of plant varietal research or plant breeding or seed industry or agricultural development.
The Chairperson shall be the Chief Executive of the Authority in the rank of Secretary to the Government of India. The appointment shall be made on deputation/contract basis for a period of five years or up to the age of sixty-five years, whichever is earlier.
Interested candidates may send their applications along with supporting documents to Director (Seeds), Ministry of Agriculture, Department of Agriculture & Cooperation, Room No.339, Krishi Bhawan, Dr.Rajendra Prasad Road, New Delhi-110001, in the prescribed format available on the above mentioned website latest by 15th July 2010.
Note: See for more details about vacancy here
Interpretation with PPV&FR Act 2001 & Rules 2003:
1. Section-3(5a) The Chairperson, to be appointed by the Central Government, shall be a person of outstanding calibre and eminence with long practical experience to the satisfaction of that Government especially in the field of plant varietal research or agricultural development. (In notification of vacancy long practical experience amount to less than ten years.)
2. Manner of selection and appointment of chairperson (Rule11):
1) The Chairperson shall be appointed by the Central Government on the basis of names recommended by a Search Committee consisting of the following, namely:-
(i) An eminent scientist or an expert, having special knowledge and Professional experience in respect of the law relating to protection of plant varieties and plant varietal research or plant breeding, to be nominated by the Central Government in the Ministry of Agriculture
(ii) Secretary to the Government of India, Department of Agriculture and Cooperation
(iii)Secretary to the Government of India, Department of Agriculture Research and Education
(iv)Secretary to the Government of India, Department of Biotechnology
(2) The Department of Agriculture and Cooperation of the Central Government shall act as the nodal department for the selection and appointment of the Chairperson.
(3) The Chairperson shall be of the rank of the Secretary to the Government of India and the appointment as Chairperson shall either be on deputation or on contract basis.
(4) If the Selection Committee constituted under sub-rule (1), recommends any person who is not a government servant but fulfills qualifications given in clause (a) of sub-section (5) of section 3, such appointment may be made on contract basis.
Term of Office of the Chairperson. Rule (12) - The Chairperson shall hold office for a term of five years or up to the age of sixty-five years, whichever is earlier, and shall be eligible for re-appointment:
Provided that no Chairperson shall hold office for a total period exceeding ten years, or after he has attained the age of sixty-five years, whichever is earlier.
Information: Presently Dr.S.Nagarajan is the chairperson of PPV&FR Authority.Source: Seed Net India, PPV&FR Authority.