The GI Registry has registered five mango varieties from various parts of the country
1. Appemidi mango (Karnataka) –Application number 132
2. Malihabadi Dussehri - Malihabad is a town and a nagar panchayat in Lucknow district in of Uttar Pradesh. It is the mango belt of North India and is internationally acclaimed for its mangoes. Among different varieties of mangoes grown here, Dussheri is the most popular variety. Application number -125
3. Laxman Bhog (west Bengal) –Application number -111
4. Khirsapati (Himsagar)- (west Bengal )-Application number -112
5. Fazli grown in the district of Malda (West Bengal) - Application number -113
Alphonso mangoes produced in the Konkan belt along the coast of Maharashtra are also in the queue for GI status. The application for it was filed by the Director of Research at the Dr Balasaheb Sawant Konkan Krishi Vidyapeeth at Dapoli in September 2008, and pertains to fruit grown in the districts of Sindhudurg, Ratnagiri, Raigad and Thane.
Aforesaid mentions facts state that agricultural crops have lot of potential to get protection by geographical indication. Hence, there is tremendous scope for agriculture professional once they perceived experience and build understanding about the Intellectual Property aspect .